According to Ministry of Manpower Singapore (MOM), in order to work in Singapore as a foreign employee, you will need to obtain a Singapore work visa commonly known as Singapore Work Pass. Regardless of whether you are subjected to a Singapore travel visa, everyone must obtain a work pass to be allowed work here.
Types of MOM Work Pass in Singapore
Singapore has a variety of work passes with different sets of requirements by MOM which are divided into:
- Passes for Professionals:
- Employment Pass (for foreign professionals, managers and executives)
- EntrePass (for foreign entrepreneurs to start and operate a business in Singapore that is venture-backed or possesses innovative technologies)
- Personalised Employment Pass (for high-earning Employment Pass holders and overseas foreign professionals)
- Passes for Skilled and Semi-skilled workers
- S Pass (for foreign mid-level skilled staff)
- Work Permit for migrant workers (for semi-skilled migrant workers in construction, manufacturing, marine shipyard, process or services sector)
- Work Permit for migrant domestic workers (for migrant domestic workers to work in Singapore)
- Work Permit for confinement nanny (for Malaysian confinement nannies to work in Singapore)
- Work Permit for performing artiste (for foreign performances working in public entertainment outlets)
- Trainees and Student
- Training Employment Pass (for foreign professionals undergoing practical training)
- Work Holiday Pass (under Work Holiday Programme) (for foreign eligible students and young graduates from approved countries to work and holiday in Singapore for 6 months)
- Work Holiday Pass (under Work and Holiday Visa Programme) (only for Australian students and graduates to work and holiday in Singapore for 12 months)
- Training Work Permit (for semi-skilled foreign trainees or students undergoing practical training in Singapore for up to 6 months)
How To Apply for Work Visa in Singapore?
All work pass applications must be filed by an authorized corporate service provider with an Employment Agency license or a sponsoring company. Applications can be either online or manually by the hiring company or an employment agency to MOM Singapore. Online work pass applications are submitted through a Portal and will take 3 weeks or longer to process. Manual applications are submitted over the counter and will take 8 weeks or longer to process.
MOM will review and conduct stringent assessments on the applications in line with the current requirements and regulations. For example, candidates applying for a Singapore Employment Pass are higher earners with work experience and acceptable qualifications.
Requirements to work in Singapore
Before starting an application for a work pass, there are 4 steps that you can take to successfully obtain a Singapore Work Pass:
- Find the most suitable work pass
- Since there are various types of work pass and different assessment criteria from MOM, it is important to research and figure out which visa is the most suitable for you. Knowing the right work pass will help prepare the right documents required and increase the chance for a successful application.
- Prepare relevant documents and educational qualifications
- A valid passport and educational qualifications / certificates play an important role in the process of a work pass application. Submitted documents must be in English or translated and verified to English by an official channel.
- Explain unique work experience (if required by MOM Singapore)
- Explain and describe candidate’s work experience so that it rationalized with why the candidate is chosen for the position. A detailed explanation should show case candidate’s suitability and extensive work experience compared to hiring a local for the role
- Hire an external expert advisor
- For a smooth and hassle-free work pass application, consider getting expert advise and consultation. You may contact us at email@example.com or visit our website for advice on the most suitable work pass and assistance for an easy application.